Staying Human During Residency Training: How To Survive...
|Author||Peterkin, Allan D|
The ultimate survival guide for medical students, interns, residents, and fellows,Staying Human during Residency Trainingprovides time-tested advice and the latest information on every aspect of a resident's life - from choosing a residency program, to coping with stress, enhancing self-care, and protecting personal and professional relationships.
Allan D. Peterkin, MD, provides hundreds of tips on how to cope with sleep deprivation, time pressures, and ethical and legal issues. This sixth edition is not only updated to reflect the latest research and resources, but also features new material on the latest issues in residency training, including social media use, patient-centred care, the medical humanities, and the “hidden curriculum of residency. Presenting practical antidotes to cynicism, careerism, and burnout, Peterkin also offers guidance on fostering more empathic connection with patients and deepening relationships with colleagues, friends, and family.
Acknowledged by thousands of doctors across North America as an invaluable resource,Staying Human during Residency Traininghas helped to shape notions of trainee well-being for medical educators worldwide. Offering wise, compassionate, and professional counsel, this new edition again shows why it is required reading for medical students and new physicians pursuing postgraduate training.
The ultimate survival guide for medical students, interns, residents, and fellows,Staying Human during Residency Trainingprovides time-tested advice and the latest information on every aspect of a resident's life.
1. Body and Soul: The Risks, Challenges, and Opportunities of Residency Training
2. Preventive Medicine: Choosing a Humane Residency
3. Physician Heal Thyself: Taking Care of Your Body
4. Staying Whole: Maximizing Supports and Finding Balance
5. Protecting and Improving Personal Relationships
6. Keeping Professional Relationships Healthy
7. One Size Does Not Fit All: Unique Concerns
8. Whiz Kids: Teaching, Learning, Doing Research and Leading with No Time
9. Not Just a Job: Professionalism, Ethics Issues, and Legal Considerations
10. Taking Care of Business: Managing Your Finances
11. I'm Finally Done: Now What? Thoughts on the End of Residency
12. Knowledge Is Power: Social Media Guidelines and Helpful Web Resources